Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

My witts end.

I have come to this place many many times in my life. At least once per month I'm sure. Today I was there, again...

The garden is over run with weeds, slugs and vegetables that need to be put up. This is the first year that I have planted a "real" garden and REALLY tried to grow what I can freeze or process for the winter. I have had gardens for the last 12 years or so, but to varying degrees of sizes and success. Normally I'm overrun with zucchini, this year we got one. (thanks rain) But I also realized how much my girls love broccoli so there is a LOT of that growing, and after you pick it and blanch it and freeze it, a few days later there is more to pick and blanch and freeze. Not to mention the beets and beet greens...those babies GREW! I'm glad really, we all love pickled beets and borscht too, and you need lots for that. This is the first year I'm blanching and freezing the greens. The last 2 or 3 years we have not gotten beets for one reason or another.

So I'm feeling overwhelmed with my plethora of veggies that I have to "do" something with, not to mention the goats milk that just does not quit...we have to make cheese about every 3 days to keep up with it all. That is quite the process too. I have started making back to back batches of cheese if the kitchen is already messed.

I have to keep in mind what I've already done in the last week or two...Picked and froze 2-3 gallons of raspberries. Picked and froze blueberries, made raspberry and blueberry jams. Made 2 kinds of relishes and some zucchini pickles (my neighbor's greehouse has blessed this neck of the woods with zucchini). Blanched about 15 qt size bags of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans (neighbor) and beet greens. Made a huge batch of borsht and froze some. Made about 6 batches of cheese. Gotten sick wich took me out for a couple of days. Sold some mailboxes, rented mailboxes, screwed up mailboxes, changed locks on mailboxes, refunded mailboxes and billed out renters for mailboxes. Taken my kids to hither and yon. Homeschooled them (a little). Made ice cream. Met with a guy who will hopefully paint my house with the "new" yellow color I decided on. Gave back the treasurer work for my oldest's shot gun club.

It's been a busy 2 weeks and will be a busy next 2 while we try to finish putting up the garden. Perhaps I will be able to make a dinner in there somewhere too, I have failed miserably at that lately.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm not going to lie...when it was raining for 32 days straight we booked our honeymoon (14 year anniversary) trip to Hawaii and so by September 17th I want to be DONE so we can have a nice quiet time away in some warmth before winter hits. I love September and don't like to be gone, but hey, I'm not complaining.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you guys get to go away together! I'm actually a bit jealous! :-) I mean, we did go to the Bahamas, but it WAS tropical rain season...not to mention 16 years ago!

I too need to get my garden in. I keep procrastinating. Maybe Monday. We've been spending our weekends working on the coop, and now, since Craig is tied up with work, that has ground to a halt. Hopefully Aaron and I can finish it up enough to get some hens soon.

I sure enjoy having you for a sister! Love you!