Every time I travel outside (of Alaska). I come up with more and more things I like about it here and why I don't want to move. I suppose I should add the caveat that this does not include Anchorage. Around here it mostly called "Los Anchorage" or "Ancaragua". But there are plenty of good folks in the "big city" and most of them I would choose over folks in the lower 48 cities.
1. In Alaska it's always light and you can see where you are walking, either because of the snow in the winter or the light in the summer.
|This picture was taken at around 11:45pm when hubby and son were putting the neighbors cow in.|
2. In Alaska every trip to town gives you new scenery, the mountains, the change of season, the moose lurking by the road...and that's just a trip to the grocery store.
|My view in the winter.|
|My view in the fall. Love them both.|
4. In Alaska we have the right to conceal carry with out a permit.
|Yes, that's me with a .45 picking blueberries in bear country. (open carry)|
5. In Alaska we have the best homeschooling rights in the country.
|Homeschool project: sleep in the garage with the goat getting ready to kid.|
6. In Alaska there is plentiful natural resources and wildlife: buried in the ground, in the oceans, rivers and on land. You just have to know how to find it and harvest it.
|Playing or fishing or both.|
7. In Alaska the children are tougher than most L48ers. Many have taken game and most have fished. And find a kid that doesn't own one or more of the following: ATV, pistol, rifle, bow and arrow, skiis or snowshoes.
|Our daughter competing in the kids shotgun competition. She loves to shoot Ptarmigan and Grouse.|
8. In Alaska the men are men. They are self assured and confident, those are attractive qualities in a man.
|Manly men being manly, relaxing after a manly hardworking day.|
9. In Alaska the women are manly but don't try to be men. They put on their make up and earrings for date night and they throw on their Carhartts and Xtra Tuffs for the hunting and fishing. Give her a chainsaw and watch her go, give her a rifle and let her kill.
10. In Alaska life is not easy. You have to earn your keep, shape up or ship out, make it or break it, and all those other puns. It's a serious place for serious people that know how to work and play hard. My favorite part about Alaska is by far the people who proudly call this their home.
|Theophany/Epiphany, blessing the Little Susitna River (January).|
|Wasilla version of a convertable.|
|Um, it's cold out there...|
|Neighbor with his bad-ass truck moving my shed.|
|Homeschooled kid drove his snowmachine to science class one day in the middle of town.|