Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

Life Changer

I am 38 years old and never lived anywhere but Alaska.

We moved to Washington state 3 weeks ago. What the heck?

We sold. A lot. Including our animals. I finally got everything just right in the yard, fencing, apple trees, berry bushes...then poof, we leave.

Everyone asks me how I feel about this, am I sad am I excited? I don't get depressed or excited easily. I am at peace about it and trying to wrap my mind around it. I know myself well enough to know that I will be fine here. I will adjust. God wanted us here for His own reasons, we aren't sure of all of them but think we may have some ideas of why. It has been a hard journey that we started in February, really considering it. Many things have gone wrong but more things have gone right to make it possible to move.

We moved mainly because there is a new parish starting in the small town of Goldendale, WA. My husband is a deacon and our parish in Alaska had grown to a nice size where we weren't needed like we used to be. (Wanted sure, but not needed.) Leaving our parish was extremely difficult and more-so considering the history our parish had with people, especially clergy, moving away, we know the abandoned feeling all too well. This time it was us that was doing the abandoning. That was really terrible.

There isn't clergy here in this town to get a new parish up and running, and when presented with this as an option for us vs staying in Alaska it just felt so right for us both. Once the decision was made, the kids were told, our families were told, tears were shed...the work of moving began.

Moving=horrible.

If you have moved you know. If you have tried selling your house you know. If you haven't, read up on it on the internet and learn what you can, then hang on for a bumpy ride. If you have any money in savings, it will go bye bye. If you have a credit card, it will get maxed. If you're moving because God wants you to, be prepared for a lot to go wrong. Get into the back of God's car and just sit back and watch the drama out the window. He's in control, let it go.

My husband can keep his job and work at home like he has for the last 14 years. My business didn't sell, so I'm attempting to run it from here. My sister was looking for a work-at-home job and as she's the best worker I've ever known, I was happy she was willing to work for me. 

Our house is still not sold. I don't know if it will. It was supposed to close June 2nd and they buyer's house still hasn't closed and we aren't sure ours will go smoothly now either after theirs sells... I'm thankful that we got plane tickets out of Alaska because I'm sure our car would have broken down had we tried driving. Either that or the nine of us would have killed each other on the way down. A 3 1/2 hour plane ride was definitely worth it.

When we got here most of the active parish was very sick, one boy had mono, another two families had whooping cough. Another has a simple surgery then gets sepsis and almost dies. What?

God did provide us with a beautiful rental house here. It's one of the old Victorian houses in the town and rent is very reasonable. Someone put in a very pretty yard and nice fences all the way around. There is even a koi pond with fish. I have always wanted a Victorian house and this way I get to have my cake and eat it too. I get to live in it but not be responsible for the major work that goes into owing one.

I don't have time to mess with a lot of pictures tonight but I've been posting some on Instagram: https://instagram.com/akmamaof7/
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Glad you're posting again - best wishes on your big move!

Hillary said...

Moving is horrible. But you're doing awesome. We are always thinking of you and the struggles and joys of this next period in your lives. God knows! Always. :)

Laura said...

Glad you guys made it. Adjustment is hard and takes time. Keep posting, I am enjoying reading through your blog (also the Fireweed jelly recipe you posted).

Matildajoseph said...

Oh my goodness! What a huge transition! Congratulations on your move!

Unknown said...

My husband and I were looking for a business to buy up here in AK. What kind of business do you have?

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on google while looking to see where Granny Miller went Again...she said she was changing earlier this year but I can't find her again...do you have any idea where she is? I love your site but eh way!! :-) The house is beautiful. I hope you have moved in and feel at home by now. I do not go onto Facebook etc so will not be following anyone there but enjoy your older posts and will any new ones you get to post. thanks for all the work. Sarah

AKmamaOf7 said...

Anonymous: I love Granny but I know she has a busy life. I have a feeling she retired from blogging again. She did it once in 2012 or something like that then had to rebuild her website. We would keep in touch via email sometimes. I guess we'll just have to keep checking from time-to-time.

D Jennings: check out matsumail dot com. You can email me from there if you like.