Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

FETA update

So happy to announce two out of the three fetas turned out great!  We did a taste test (well the men that were here) and liked them very much.  The kids then did their own and also liked them very much.  I'm a happy cooker.  The one I liked best was the easies to make.  It simply takes our "farmers cheese" we make regularly and then you heavy brine it (salting it) and then pickle brine it for a week.  Could not be easier!  Now we'll see how they are after 2 weeks, etc.  I kind of want to try some other feta recipes now that I've watched more YouTube videos on it, I like the idea of using the whey (with added salt) as a brine for the feta, seems less wasteful.  The cheese book we have is great but I really want to strangle the author sometimes...he makes things much harder than they need to be.

Yesterday I made cottage cheese and today I made mozzarella...guess what I'm making tomorrow?  (Hint:  It includes moose burger and spaghetti sauce and layers...yum)

1 comment:

Laurie Constantino said...

Congratulations!! Wish I lived closer so I could try it! As for the whey, I like using it as the liquid when I make bread - very tasty. And as you say, with salt for brine.